The aim of the study was to assess the role of different viral strains of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in determining the outcome of the alpha-interferon (IFN) therapy. Fifty-seven patients (34 from Italy and 23 from Japan) with HCV-positive liver disease were enrolled in the study. The NS4 region of HCV was amplified in sera by 'nested' polymerase chain reaction (PCR) using a primer pair synthesized according to the sequence of JK-1. The NS4 region was positive in 14 (41%) Italian and in 13 (56%) Japanese patients. In positive patients the sequence of the NS4 region was also obtained. Subsequently, HCV genotype was determined in all patients by PCR amplification of the core region. All patients received recombinant alpha2a-interferon (IFN), 6 million units 3 times a week for 1 month followed by 3 million units 3 times a week for 5 months. The patients were followed for 1 year after the end of treatment. At the end of the follow-up, 17 (30%) had sustained normal revels of serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT). The outcome of treatment was not correlated with race, age, sex, histology, and pretreatment ALT level, but was significantly (P < 0.00001) associated with the presence of both the NS4-JK-1 region and HCV type II. Among the 27 NS4-positive patients, only 1 patient (3.7%) achieved a complete response, whereas the remaining 26 patients (96.3%) either were non-responders or relapsed after IFN was discontinued. In contrast, among the 30 NS4-JK-1-negative patients, 15 (53%) had a sustained remission. HCV genotyping showed type I in 3 (6%), type II in 40 (74%), type III in 4 (7%), and type IV in 3 (6%) cases. Coinfection was present in 4 (7%), while in 3 cases amplification was not obtained. Patients with type II were all non-responders or relapsers, while a response to the treatment was oberved in 17 of 77 (100%) of the remaining patients. These data indicate that the presence of JK-1 variant of HCV or HCV type II is almost always predictive of a poor response rate of IFN therapy.

Interferon therapy in chronic HCV hepatitis: Evidence of different outcome with respect to different viral strain

POZZATO, GABRIELE;TIRIBELLI, CLAUDIO
1995

Abstract

The aim of the study was to assess the role of different viral strains of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in determining the outcome of the alpha-interferon (IFN) therapy. Fifty-seven patients (34 from Italy and 23 from Japan) with HCV-positive liver disease were enrolled in the study. The NS4 region of HCV was amplified in sera by 'nested' polymerase chain reaction (PCR) using a primer pair synthesized according to the sequence of JK-1. The NS4 region was positive in 14 (41%) Italian and in 13 (56%) Japanese patients. In positive patients the sequence of the NS4 region was also obtained. Subsequently, HCV genotype was determined in all patients by PCR amplification of the core region. All patients received recombinant alpha2a-interferon (IFN), 6 million units 3 times a week for 1 month followed by 3 million units 3 times a week for 5 months. The patients were followed for 1 year after the end of treatment. At the end of the follow-up, 17 (30%) had sustained normal revels of serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT). The outcome of treatment was not correlated with race, age, sex, histology, and pretreatment ALT level, but was significantly (P < 0.00001) associated with the presence of both the NS4-JK-1 region and HCV type II. Among the 27 NS4-positive patients, only 1 patient (3.7%) achieved a complete response, whereas the remaining 26 patients (96.3%) either were non-responders or relapsed after IFN was discontinued. In contrast, among the 30 NS4-JK-1-negative patients, 15 (53%) had a sustained remission. HCV genotyping showed type I in 3 (6%), type II in 40 (74%), type III in 4 (7%), and type IV in 3 (6%) cases. Coinfection was present in 4 (7%), while in 3 cases amplification was not obtained. Patients with type II were all non-responders or relapsers, while a response to the treatment was oberved in 17 of 77 (100%) of the remaining patients. These data indicate that the presence of JK-1 variant of HCV or HCV type II is almost always predictive of a poor response rate of IFN therapy.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11368/1691966
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 5
  • Scopus 40
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 44
social impact